Can exercise make you happier ? Really?
Yes, it can!
Stretching your body, with even gentle exercise, releases chemicals that enhance your mood.
Ways to stretch your body might include:
- move more; be active; exercise;
- join a yoga class, a walking group, or a sports club;
- go outside and smell the flowers or play games with friends;
- use movement, breath and proper rest to energise you
Our body and mind are connected – so not only does moving more make us physically healthier, being active makes us happier.
Questions to help you think about how to put more movement into your life:
1. How could you put more movement into your journey to work, or journeys to visit friends, etc? E.g. get off the bus one stop earlier, cycle, etc
2. How could you put more movement into your day generally? E.g. take the stairs rather than the lift, etc.
3. What sort of activities might you enjoy doing outside, in the fresh-air, which would get you moving more? E.g. walking, playing Frisbee with friends…
4. What groups might you join that would involve movement? E.g. walking club, football team, aerobics classes….
5. What sort of movement have you never tried before, that you might fancy trying or learning? E.g. salsa dancing, rock-climbing, paragliding….
6. What do you do to help yourself to sleep well?
For more information on better sleep see:
7. What could you do to relax and breathe deeply, to get more oxygen to your brain, in a gentle way? E.g. yoga, meditation, etc
For more information on meditation see:
The questions above are just the starting point to thinking about how to put more movement into your life, but hopefully it has given you some food for thought…
And, tell me what you think – share what you have done to put more movement and/or exercise into your life, and how you felt afterwards – can exercise make you happier ? – it’s great to hear your experiences, and I feature some of them in my newsletters.
Leave a comment here, or email me: Mary@Coach-me-Happy.co.uk